Saturday, June 28, 2008

Vegetarian Summerfest in Johnstown, PA

My sister, Carol, and I attended Vegetarian Summerfest in Johnstown PA this year. I had been wanting to go for many years, and this was my first experience with it. What a remarkable event it was! How wonderful it was to hear the superb speakers talk on a variety of topics. Many of the speakers are authors and they had fine credentials as well.

My most life changing experience at the summerfest was the informative and persuasive session given by Jeff Novick (http://www.pritkin.com/articlelist/novik.shtm). This dietitian advocates adding no extra oil to your diet, as all vegetables have some oil in them already. He also proved to the audience that olive oil was not as good for you as we all believe.

And to think that I always thought slathering on the olive oil was a good thing!

Anyway, because of the summerfest, I have chosen to eat not only vegan, but low fat vegan - not an easy task, to be sure, especially when on the road.

Another terrific program was given by Victoria Moran, who spoke on staying youthful. Here is her website: http://www.victoriamoran.com/. Her book is called "Younger by the Day," and she not only spoke eloquently about the topic, but she is a stunning example of a beautiful vegan. In fact, after seeing many of the people at the event, it keeps me on the path in even a more dedicated way.

I would love to hear from any of you who are transitioning to becoming a vegan. Take care, Bonnie

No comments: