Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Animals

I haven't written for quite a while. For that I apologize. However, I was just reading Brandi's blog (http://allthingsbrandi.blogspot.com/) and her latest blog post is a comment about her emotional reaction about killing animals. This posting prompts me to mention something I do not comment on much (if at all so far) in my blog.

At first I became a vegetarian for health reasons. After a while something changed within me. As time progressed, I began to feel a tenderness toward the animals that I never had before. I realized that all animals have emotions (just like we realize our pets do). In my reading I learned that many are also very smart (such as pigs, especially) and we can connect with all animals just as we do with people. (I heard that this inner transformation often happens to others who become vegetarian too.) Now I am a vegan and I feel at peace with the idea that I have made that choice.

Being a vegan is like being on a journey. Sometimes it is not easy, depending upon the situation, and I am not "perfect." However, my heart tells me to keep on the road to being a vegan, and to become more committed every day.

Talk to you soon, dear friends.

8 comments:

Brandi said...

I am actually speechless, yet nodded the entire time I read that! Thank you so much for reading that post. I really do get emotional, and I agree that something inside you changes as you take the journey to veganism. I, too, am not "perfect" but am proud of for what I can do! Keep up the great work and I love reading your posts!

Zucchini Breath said...

Vegan is pure joy! Keep updating.

youngbon said...

I so appreciate your comment, Brandi. You know, whenever someone says they are a vegan, you feel they are a part of your "family." I "know" a lot of vegan librarians across the country and feel very close to them, even if I do not know them - really.

It is great that a young person like you, a college student, is committed to being a vegan - as am I, an older person, and yet there are no barriers, as we are both part of a special group of committed people, the vegan "family".

youngbon said...

Vegan is pure joy -- yes, you are right "zucchini breath," funny name, indeed, but nice comment! I thank you for it.

Vee said...

I can identify with what you said. I, too, became vegetarian because of health reasons. Now I find myself sensitive to all living things and to our planet. I am now vegan and it's not always easy. I've been eating vegan for a year.

I'm now taking the next step and giving my sisters all my leather bags - I have plenty. Giving up my leather shoes will be a little harder because I haven't seen any vegan shoes that I like, but eventually they will be replaced also.

youngbon said...

Vee,I commend you for taking that next step with your leather bags and shoes. I must say that is difficult for me, fashionista as I am. But one day I know I will get there. At least I hope so! Best wishes to you, Vee.

Brandi said...

This has become quite a discussion board...I love it. I heard a quote today: "Progression, not Perfection". THAT is what veganism is for me. I am not trying to recruit you to my blog, but go look at my blog (LOL). On the left hand side, about half way down, I have a list of Vegan Shopping websites. These are all vegan owned AND animal free products (including bags, shoes, candles, etc, etc.....LOVE MOO SHOES!)

youngbon said...

No time to talk -- Got to go shopping now, Brandi!